The Biological Sciences Department offers minors in General Biology as well as an interdisciplinary minor in Environmental Studies.
Minor in General Biology
Students must earn at least a C- in all biology courses contributing to the minor.
If a particular course has a prerequisite that is not listed as part of the minor requirements, then the prerequisite is given in italics below the course for which it is a prerequisite. These prerequisites must be completed IN ADDITION TO other program requirements
- BIO 150/150L Introduction to Biology I with Lab - 4 CH
- BIO 151/151L Introduction to Biology II with Lab - 4 CH
- CHE 120/120L General Chemistry I with Lab - 4 CH
- CHE 121/121L General Chemistry II with Lab - 4 CH
- MAT 112 Applied Calculus (Prerequisite C- or better in MAT 109 or placement* - OR- Select one 300/400/500 level mathematics course) - 3 CH
- Select 12 additional credit hours of BIO courses with at least 9 at the 300 level or above** - 12 CH
- TOTAL PROGRAM CREDITS = 31
- ADDITIONAL PREREQUISITE CREDITS = 0-3
- TOTAL CREDITS = 31-34
- * A student can place out of the prerequisite requirement if he or she has a mathematics ACT >= 23 or mathematics SAT >=540.
- ** Transfer students must complete the additional 12 credits from NKU
Minor in Environmental Studies
The minor in environmental studies is an interdisciplinary program designed to provide students with a coherent academic program that is sensitive and responsive to current and projected environmental problems facing the human community on a variety of levels.
As a minor program, it is intended to broaden and strengthen a number of major programs by providing a useful focus on a wide range of environmental issues.
The environmental studies minor requires completion of 22 credit hours
- BIO 123 or ENV 110 or ENV 294 or ENV 394
- ENV 396
- ENV 494
Elective requirement (12 credit hours):
- ANT 345 Environmental Anthropology
- BIO 304/304L General Ecology with Lab
- CHE 112/112L Chemistry and Society
- ENV 115 Orientation to Environmental Careers
- GEO 306 Environmental Resource Management
- GEO 314 Maps and Map Interpretation
- GEO 318 Geographic Information Systems
- GEO 340 Sustainable Food Systems
- GEO 394 Topics: Advanced Map Studies
- GLY 120 This Dangerous Earth
- GLY 240 Geology of Natural Resources
- IET 260 Industrial Environmental Control
- IET 323 Land Planning and Development
- IET 423 Planning and Design of Industrial Facilities
- PHI 302 Ethics and Science
- PHI 360 Topics: Environmental Philosophy
- SOC 340 Population
- SOC 355 Sociology and the Environment