Raquel Rodriquez is the Associate Professor of Trumpet at Northern Kentucky University in Highland Heights, Kentucky. At NKU, Raquel is the Coordinator of Brass Studies, teaches applied trumpet, and is the director of the Trumpet Ensemble and Concert Band. Raquel hosted the 2013 Ohio Chapter Meeting of the International Trumpet Guild at NKU and served as a co-host of the 2014 International Women’s Brass Conference on the campus of NKU, June 4-8, 2014.
Raquel is a versatile musician having appeared as a clinician, soloist, and chamber musician throughout the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and China. Raquel freelances frequently with many regional orchestras in Kentucky and Ohio, is the principal cornet with the Lexington Brass Band, and is a member of the Cincinnati-based ensemble, The Ohio River Brass Quintet. Other performing credits include the Sunflower Music Festival Orchestra, Aspen Festival Orchestra, Kansas City Symphony, Fountain City Brass Band, Athena Brass Band, Brass Theater with the Canadian Brass, and the Tony Award winning show, Blast!. She was a performing member of the internationally known Synergy Brass Quintet in their 2008-09 national tour and performed in over 200 concerts and clinics across the nation. Dr. Rodriquez is a clinician for the Conn-Selmer and Denis Wick Companies.
Raquel has been praised for her performances on trumpet and cornet. She has been a trumpet/cornet prize-winner at NABBA (North American Brass Band Association), the US Open Brass Band Championships, the National Trumpet Competition, and the International Women’s Brass Conference. As a soloist, Raquel has performed with the Topeka Symphony Orchestra, NKU Symphonic Winds and Chamber Orchestra, Fountain City Brass Band, Lexington Brass Band, Lima Area Band, Fillmore Wind Band and Frank Simon Band.
Raquel is the Editor of the International Trumpet Guild Journal’s Trumpet Technology Column and is the Co-Editor of the ITG Video Website. Raquel’s scholarly activities have resulted in articles published in the Instrumentalist Magazine and ITG Journal. Additionally, she annually serves as a Conference Reporter for the ITG Journal. In 2014, she was awarded the University Teacher of the Year (2013-14) for District VI in Kentucky (KMEA). In 2012, Raquel was awarded an NKU Faculty Development Grant and recorded “Cincinnati Virtuosity” The Cornet Solos of Frank Simon and Herman Bellstedt in 2013.
Dr. Rodriquez holds the DMA in Trumpet Performance from The University of North Texas where she studied with renowned trumpet pedagogue, Keith Johnson. She earned the MA and Bachelor’s degree in Music Education from West Texas A&M University where she studied with Mr. David Ritter. As a young trumpeter growing up in West Texas she began her trumpet studies with David Fortenberry.
As a teacher, she has enjoyed success in her college studio at NKU as well as with her private students who consistently earn top chairs in various district, regional and state festivals. Her students have gone on to successful careers as teachers and many have pursued advanced degrees in performance at some of the premiere graduate schools in the nation.
If you are interested in attending Northern Kentucky University as an undergraduate trumpet student, please follow these steps:
- Email me your name, contact phone number and email.
- Set up a FREE private lesson with me at a mutually agreed time. Prepare a lyrical and technical etude, or a solo that contains both lyrical and technical elements. I will give suggestions on developing a practice routine and assistance on selecting music for the scholarship audition.
- Visit the NKU Trumpet Website for information regarding auditions/scholarships and news from the NKU trumpet studio. It is highly recommended that you audition on an earlier date for a better chance to receive a higher scholarship.
- Pick your audition date and submit your info on the NKU Scholarship Online Form. General audition requirements: play a piece (solo or etudes) that feature technical and lyrical aspects and all major scales.
Recent Trumpet Studio Activities:
- Recent trumpet guest artists have included Peter Wood, Joe Burgstaller, Ingrid Jensen, Rich Illman, Scott Belck and Pat Harbison. In addition, composers Philip Glass, Branford Marsalis, and Libby Larson have worked with NKU students.
- Principal trumpet in the KMEA Intercollegiate Orchestra (2011 & 2013).
- Principal Trumpet in the 2015 KMEA Intercollegiate Band.
- 3 Trumpet students have won the NKU Band solo competition since 2010!
- A student was selected to the 2014 National Trumpet Competition Solo Competition
- Hosted the 2013 Ohio ITG Conference and the 2014 International Women’s Brass Conference!
- NKU Trumpet Ensemble performed off-stage with the Fillmore Wind Band at the 2015 KMEA Conference.
- NKU Trumpet Ensemble performed a prelude at the 2015 ITG Conference in Columbus, OH.